Monday, March 21, 2011

Recipe: Spicy Shrimp

It's been a little while since I posted a recipe so I planned with my husband tonight to make my Spicy Shrimp.  This recipe is from my mother and I've adapted it over the years adding even more spices to make the flavour all my own.  It seems like a lot of ingredients and most of your time will be spent measuring out the spices, but the cooking time is really quick.

Make sure you get everything together before hand.

Spicy Shrimp
spinach, mushrooms and butter

26-30 Black Tiger Shrimp, peeled and tails removed
2 generous handfuls of baby spinach
2 portobello mushrooms, cubed
1/4 cup butter plus 2 tbsp
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
spices
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp dried ginger
1 tsp curry powder
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of water, white wine or stock of your choice

melted butter & garlic
On medium heat, melt the 1/4 cup of butter and add the garlic.  Saute mushrooms and spinach and set aside on a plate.

Add the extra 2 tbsp of butter to the pan with all of the spices and 1/4 cup liquid (I used water for this recipe).  Turn temperature to medium high heat and add shrimp.

Saute shrimp until opaque in the centre.  Reduce heat to minimum.

sauteed mushrooms & spinach
Add the mushrooms and spinach back to the shrimp and mix together.  As most of the spinach wilted with the first saute, I threw in another handful of spinach in and stirred through.  I like some larger leaves in the final dish.

shrimp gettin' some love






Adding the veg back in



Snow peas work really well in this dish as well as asparagus and cherry tomatoes.  Try out your own combination of spices . If it's too spicy, reduce the cayenne and black pepper or omit the red pepper flakes.  For a different take, remove the curry, turmeric and cumin.  The possibilities are endless :)

Bon Appetit!

6 comments:

  1. This looks great! Thanks for sharing! I just found your blog and am excited to look around a little more. I'm just starting to change our household's diet to follow the primal blueprint. Well, we're not officially doing it yet this week... trying to use up a few non-primal things in the freezer first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara! Good luck with your "primal journey" and let me know how the recipe is if you try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I just skimmed your blog after a link on Everyday Paleo's Facebook got posted. I saw these pics and started drooling.

    I then went to the kitchen and improvised it as best I could with what we had (only missing a couple of spices), and am in culinary heaven.

    My uvula hurts from all the cayenne, but I'll get past that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Maybe go a little easy on the cayenne next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made your spicy shrimp on day 3 of my Primal lifestyle! LOVE IT.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete