Sunday, January 22, 2012

Spiced Pork Shoulder

Pork shoulder
I love cooking roasts and stews; foods that are perfect for creating delicious random meals throughout the week.  The smell that permeates the apartment is warming and exciting and I can't wait to dig in when it's done.

Saturday I cooked a pork shoulder, a usual standby in our home.  I usually make it a couple of times per month and it's always delicious.  The spices I use vary from time to time and I never specifically measure them when I cook, part of the reason I find it so difficult to post recipes here.  Well, I decided to write it down this round.  Everything is measured exactly how I made it, so if you get a chance to make it, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Rub that spice on good!
Preheat oven to 250 F

1 3-4 lb bone-in pork shoulder
1 cup red wine or broth of your choice
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
3 carrots, chopped
5 baby turnips, halved




Ready to go in the oven!

Spice Rub

2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne

Instructions:

Prepare spices and rub over entire pork shoulder and place in a dutch oven.  Slice garlic and loosely chop onions and toss them on top of the pork.  Add 1 cup of red wine or broth, seal the dutch oven with a lid and place in the oven for 2 hrs @ 250 F.

After 2 hours, remove from the oven and add your chopped carrots and halved baby turnips, put the lid back on and place in the oven for another hour.

Add chopped veggies 2 hrs into cooking
Cook until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 190 F or slightly more.  Pork will be super tender and super juicy and super delicious.

Slice pork and serve with stewed veggies.
Super Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment